2 large English hothouse cucumbers
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 large tomatoes, seeded, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup coarsely chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 SERVINGS Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Cut halves diagonally into 1/2-inch-wide pieces. Place in large bowl. Add vinegar, sugar and salt. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour; toss occasionally.
Add tomatoes, red onion, mint and oil to cucumbers and toss to blend. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Kahlua Pecan Pie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 to 60 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
* 1/4 cup butter, softened
* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 tablespoon Argo® Corn Starch
* 3 eggs
* 1/4 cup Kahlua
* 1/2 cup Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
* 2/3 cup or 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
* 1 1/4 cups pecan halves or pieces
* 1 (9-inch) unbaked or frozen deep-dish pie crust
* Whipped Cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cream together butter, sugar, vanilla and corn starch in a large bowl. Mix well.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in Kahlua, Karo®, evaporated milk and pecans. Mix well and pour into crust.
4. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 325°F and bake 40 minutes or until firm. Refrigerate. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
San Francisco Pork Chops
4 pork chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of oil
4 tablespoons of dry sherry or broth
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of water
Trim the pork chops of fat. Heat oil in a skillet. Brown the chops on both sides. Remove and add a little more oil if needed. Sauté the garlic for a minute, being careful not to burn. Combine the oil, sherry or broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper. Place the chops in skillet. Pour sauce over them. Cover tightly. Simmer over low heat until chops are tender and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Add a little water, 1 to 2 tablespoons if needed to keep the sauce from cooking down too much. Turn once. Remove the chops to platter. Stir in cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook until thickened. Pour over chops and serve. Makes 4 servings